Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Doing what i can,the best i can.

LOL.
I'm actually at my mum's tuition centre now...at Bandar Utama~

Just started my second class with some standard 5 and 6 students. And today, a form 1 gal joined the extra class in which im their 'lao shi'(teacher).

I'm using the computer at the counter cuz everyone has gone back except myself, mum, and a student whose dad is coming to pick him late. Kesian. Oh yea..and im waiting for my mum who is having a meeting with one of the teachers in the office room.

How did i get involved with my mum's centre?
You see..there was a few students who were quite weak in english and bahasa melayu..And during normal classes, they find it extremely hard to keep up with the teacher's pace.
Therefore, my mum asked me if i was interested in helping them by giving extra classes. After pondering about it, i finally said yes. (Although i'm currently working at Starbucks as a part-timer already)

I figured it'll be good if i can see a bit of improvements...even just a little...it would really bring much joy to the parents who are clueless as to what to do about their kids..
Of course, mum said she will pay me rather handsomely..and i gotta admit that's one of the reasons why i eventually took a day off from my job at Starbucks to teach at her tuition centre.
But that's beside the point..
I genuinely wanted to be able to help them in one way or another...although honestly speaking, i did doubt myself cuz its not easy to teach standard 5,6 and form 1 students who cant read nor write up till this stage.

Yes, they seriously don't know how to construct simple sentences like 'Umur saya sebelas tahun.'
I was shocked.
But immediately after the initial shock, a wave of empathy flooded me...i really, really symphatize with these kids and therefore today... i tried various ways to interact with them and make the class interesting for 3 hours.

I drew pictures on the board, gave them role play sessions, and mostly...i used chinese to communicate with them since the three of them are chinese educated. And the words i wrote on the board has to be accompanied by chinese translations for easier understanding.
And boy..was that difficult!
i hadn't been learning my mandarin for about 8 years already! (my chinese education is only up to UPSR =/ )
But thank God, i still knew some basic words.
(Next week, i am definitely bringing a chinese dictionary!)

I thank God for granting me this opportunity to touch their lives even if this is only the beginning.
To see the smile on their faces when i encourage them by giving positive affirmations is just sooooo rewarding..
If they can, and i believe they can, learn to write and read well in future.. That'll be the truest satisfaction one can ask for.
=)


Please do uphold:
Yung Kei
Hooi Fong
Jia Le
David

in your prayers~ that they will be able to cross this hurdle in life. Nothing is impossible.

Yung Kei.

Hooi Fong.


The wonderful kids and myself. I look tired..but...happy! =D

~Today is actually an extremely special day for me and someone.A milestone after 3years.~ =)

2 comments:

TC Tham said...

I think you are quite amazing.. I make a rotten teacher.. I dunno why but I can't teach for nuts.. perhaps I've got no patience.. anywayz.. ganbatte.. It's a very noble job you are doing right now..

Abigail said...

What can i say? thanks? haha. But its really tough job but its all about perseverance.